Are there benefits in having knee arthroscopic surgery for arthritis?

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: Possibly
There was a studydone in texas a few years ago that suggested that arthroscopy forknee problems was not more effective than placebo.
Having said that I have seen people improve as well as no improvement after arthroscopy. If there is a clear cut meniscus tear, arthroscopy can be helpful. If there is generalized arthritis, i feel it is less likely to be helpful . Others may have a different opinion.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Barry Waldman
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
If there is torn cartilage or mechanical symptoms, arthroscopy can sometimes be helpful.
Whether it is effective for general arthritic symptoms is controversial.

Dr. Barry Waldman
Dr. Barry Waldman