Can you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome by learning to play an instrument?

Dr. Clayton Peimer
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: No

Motion and use do not "prevent" carpal tunnel.
.. And they may not necessarily worsen the symptoms either. Weight control, smoking cessation and good nutrition are important lifestyle issues that can prevent problmes.

In brief: No

Dr. Clayton Peimer
Dr. Clayton Peimer
Dr. Jeremy Bland
Neuromuscular Medicine

In brief: Unknown

Three interestingly definite answers from my colleagues there.
I know of no scientific studies of the question so the real answer is that we don't know. Did you have a particular instrument in mind? Instruments that can be played with a straight wrist will be less likely to aggravate CTS on theoretical grounds.

In brief: Unknown

Dr. Jeremy Bland
Dr. Jeremy Bland
Dr. Gary Pess
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: No

No that is not a tretment for carpal tunnel syndrome.

In brief: No

Dr. Gary Pess
Dr. Gary Pess
Dr. Mark Deitch
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: No, it cannot

While there are benefits to playing a musical instrument in terms of maintaining flexibility and dexterity of the hands, it does not provide any sort of protection against the development of carpal tunnel.

In brief: No, it cannot

Dr. Mark Deitch
Dr. Mark Deitch