I tested positive for lupus and negative for rheumatoid arthritis. How accurate are these tests?

Dr. Alfred Kim
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Not accurate for dz

Adding to other answer: so i'm assuming you are ana-positive and rf-negative.
ANA is used to screen for lupus and other connective tissue diseases. Everyone with lupus has a positive ana, but not everyone with a positive ANA has lupus. Up to 33% of healthy people without lupus has a positive ana. That's a huge number. So there are many more people with a positive ANA without lupus than have lupus.

In brief: Not accurate for dz

Dr. Alfred Kim
Dr. Alfred Kim
Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: Tests are accurate

If you have the right tests theses are quite accurate.
You should discuss with your doctor who ordered the tests, because he knows your clinical history and will be able to explain the results to you.I can not answer without knowing the tests which were done.

In brief: Tests are accurate

Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine