I have numbness in my thumb after hand operation. Is this normal?

Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Numb after surgery
Immediately after it is quite normal.
If it doesn't resolve within 3 weeks, it may take even longer and could be permanent. This depends on the nature of the injury and/or the surgery and is best discussed with your surgeon.

In brief: Numb after surgery
Immediately after it is quite normal.
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Clayton Peimer
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Not usually
If you had numbness to begin (such as carpal tunnel syndrome) and the surgery is to relieve that problem, it may take months to fully resolve; if you never had numbness until the surgery: no, that's not normal and you should tell your surgeon so a proper diagnosis can be made.

In brief: Not usually
Dr. Clayton Peimer
Dr. Clayton Peimer
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery