I have a scaphoid fracture, but I am starting to get numbness in my thumb. What can I do?

Dr. Mark Einbecker
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Get your doc to eval

You should not have numbness as a result of a scaphoid fracture.
Did you have surgery or is the splint/cast on too tight? Could be early carpal tunnel syndrome as a result of the swelling from the fracture.

In brief: Get your doc to eval

Dr. Mark Einbecker
Dr. Mark Einbecker
Dr. Amir Khan
Sports Medicine

In brief: Scaphoid fracture

Numbness may be the result of awkward positioning or a tight cast or splint.
If present contact your doctor for instructions re: loosening the cast or splint. Sometimes people can develop carpal tunnel syndrome following an injury. Rarely direct nerve injury from several causes may be the culprit. Discuss your symptoms with your treating physician for proper evaluation and treatment.

In brief: Scaphoid fracture

Dr. Amir Khan
Dr. Amir Khan
Dr. Todd Guyette
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: See your doctor

Swelling from scaphoid fractures, combined with casting/splinting, can pinch nerves causing your symptoms.
Sometimes it takes modification of the splint/cast and/or better elevation to take the pressure off the nerve.

In brief: See your doctor

Dr. Todd Guyette
Dr. Todd Guyette
Dr. Eric Weisman