I fractured my 5th metacarpal. How long will I need a cast? Does it depend on how bad the fracture is?

Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Fracture Stability
A cast will likely be applied for a minimum of 3 weeks followed by transition to a splint.
However, a variety of options are available and will depend on the stability of the fracture.

In brief: Fracture Stability
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Eon Shin
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: 4 weeks
Most metacarpal fractures, if well aligned, require 4 weeks of full time splinting or casting.
After this 4 week period, most patients can begin mobilization exercises but will require use of a removable splint for an additional 2-4 weeks. The duration of casting or splinting will depend on the severity of the fracture pattern.

In brief: 4 weeks
Dr. Eon Shin
Dr. Eon Shin
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine