I broke my 1st metacarpal. Will I need a cast?

Dr. Barry Press
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Depends

If the fracture does not involve the joint at the base of the thumb metacarpal (i hope you are talking about the thumb!) you probably just need a cast or splint.
If it does involve the joint, you may need an operation, as misalignment of this joint surface will predispose you to early arthritis there.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Raymond Raven
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: It depends...

Some metacarpal fractures are very stable and, if they are in a good position, can be treated in a removable brace or with buddy strapping.
Some fractures require more rigid immobilization such as a cast. Occasionally, fractures need to be set and if so, it is best to immobilize them in a cast for 3-4 weeks. Surgery is needed for fractures that can not be set or stabilized in the office.

In brief: It depends...

Dr. Raymond Raven
Dr. Raymond Raven
Dr. Vicken Poochikian