What causes thumb joint and wrist pain?

Can be. Numbness and tingling is commonly nerve related, and the ulnar nerve supplies sensation to the small and part of the ring fingers. It can be injured at the elbow, in the forearm, or within the palm. Pain at the elbow / forearm / wrist after a fall can be due to ligamentous or bony injury. Early evaluation which should include xrays in important, preferably by an orthopaedic or hand specialist.
Cyst common. Depending on the exact location and characteristics, this sounds like a "mucous cyst" that can occur near the small joints of the hand. Masses in the hand may require further imaging or even excision for diagnosis. This would require being evaluated by someone trained to treat hand and finger disorders, such as a hand specialist.
Can be. Common causes of wrist pain include tendinitis, arthritis, or compressive neuropathy such as carpal tunnel. An evaluation by a physician familiar with these problems would be helpful to determine exact diagnosis and a good treatment plan.
Be evaluated. Common causes of wrist pain include arthritis, tendinitis, and compressive neuropathy such as carpal tunnel. The symptoms you describe could be any of these. A specific diagnosis and treatment plan can be determined by a specialist trained in these problems, such as a hand surgeon.
Tendonitis. Pain on the thumb side of the wrist, which radiates up the thumb is often due to dequervain's tendonitis. It should improve with rest, use of a thumb & wrist brace, and anti-inflammatories. If these dont work, a hand surgeon may recommend a cortisone injection. Other most likely cause of thumb and wrist pain would be arthritis.
Cyst common, or... Dorsal wrist swelling is commonly caused by ganglion cysts. Occasionally, they can be painful. Other things that need consideration are tenosynovitis and arthritis. A specific diagnosis can be determined by a physician trained to treat these disorders, such as a hand surgeon.
Can be. After a period of splinting, some swelling can be normal, depending on the reason for your immobilization. Some swelling is common in the healing process. This generally improves as healing progresses, and wrist/hand activities are resumed.
Arthritis and tendinitis. Pain at the base of the thumb can be due to arthritic "wear-and-tear", or tendinitis (i.e., inflammation) of the tendons controlling thumb motion. A specific diagnosis can be determined after a thorough evaluation by an orthopaedic or hand specialist who is familiar with these complaints.