I broke my hand and my doctor said there is a bonine tumor in my hand. What is that?

Dr. Michael Raemisch
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: Enchondroma
"benign", pronounced bee-nine, means it's not cancer.
It is a growth, though. Enchondroma (en-kon-dro-mah) is a very common type of benign bone growth in the hand bones. It's a type of cartilage growing where bone should be. This makes the bone slightly weaker. Sometimes you can get a break through that area. You should have the area "cleaned" out of cartilage and bone put in.

In brief: Enchondroma
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Dr. Michael Raemisch
In brief: Not malignant
A benign tumor does not invade into surrounding structures or spread to distant sites in the body.

In brief: Not malignant
Dr. Wesley Marquart
Dr. Wesley Marquart
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine