Can rotator cuff surgery affect the ability to use my hand?

Hand & rotator cuff. It is more likely to effect your shoulder. If the injury causing the rotator cuff tear was extreme, it could have damaged nerves to the hand traveling through the armpit (axilla) and be responsible for hand symptoms.
Nerve irritation. Very rare. At times positioning during surgery can stretch and irritate the brachial plexus. Pre-existing carpal tunnel syndrome can be aggravated by post operative swelling. Anterior interosseous nerve palsy has been reported in a few cases (extremely rare) (weakness of thumb and/or index finger flexion. Most resolve with time.