My dentist prescribed chlorhexidine gluconate oral rinse twice daily. Is it okay to swab my gum more often?

Chlorohexidine. Chlorohexidine gluconate 0.12% is an excellent prescription mouth rinse effective in helping you combat gum infection. I don't see any problem with you swabbing your gums more often but of course you should consult with your dentist before doing so as he/she would have more insight as it relates to your care.
Chlorhexidine Use. Chlorhexidine is a great mouthwash to get rid of bacteria in the mouth but it has one drawback in that it will stain your teeth yellow with long use. Use it for the purpose it was prescribed to you by your dentist but make a serious effort to improve your home care technique of brushing and flossing. Chlorhexidine long term can not substitute good home care.