I had a operation to repair a tendon on my hand. When will I be able to know whether the operation was successful?

Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Therapy is key

In addition to the mechanism of injury and the quality of the surgical repair, physical therapy is very important in the managment of a tendon repair and will help to determine return to function.

In brief: Therapy is key

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Eon Shin
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: 3 months

If the surgery was performed to repair a lacerated tendon (from a kitchen knife, for example), it will frequently take 3 months from the date of surgery to gain most of your flexibility back.
It will often take 6 months from the date of surgery to maximize your flexibility. You should be able to judge the "success" of surgery at about 3 months based on your progress.

In brief: 3 months

Dr. Eon Shin
Dr. Eon Shin
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery