I have to select a surgeon for inguinal hernia surgery. One has lower degree but performs mostly hernias. But lately, too many patients come back with infection. Other has asuperior degree, but mostly performs on upper abdomen and has least post surgical

Dr. Joseph Sucher
Surgery - Trauma

In brief: Choose who you trust

Ultimately, you must choose the surgeon you trust.
I'm not sure what a "lower" degree vs a "superior" degree. We all have one degree - md/do. Others, like myself, have certification from the american board of surgery and are fellows of the american college of surgeons. All indicating that we have passed a number of milestones in training, ethical conduct and continued verification processes.

In brief: Choose who you trust

Dr. David Earle
Surgery

In brief: Complex

There is almost no way to know for sure.
Infections after surgery of different types may not equate to inguinal henia repair. The institution also has a lot to do with outcomes. Specialty training, experience, and practice focus are all imolportant factors to consider, however you also have to feel confident with the surgeon. Im sorry you have to have an operation, and i hope this helps.

In brief: Complex

Dr. James Henning
Anesthesiology

In brief: Research Yourself!

Speak with your primary care providers, seek out others who have had positive experiences with their surgeries, if you have family or close personal friends with expertise or experience do factor in their opinions, review data on the surgeons complication or failure rates if you can (data available from many hospitals), interview at least two individuals.
A limited scope of practice may be best!

In brief: Research Yourself!

Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery