I cut my hand at work and now my thumb is numb. Do I have a nerve damage?

Dr. Annette Occhialini
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Possibly
Was the thumb numb immidiately after you cut it? Where on your thumb is it numb? Usually nerve damage causes only part of the thumb to be numb.
For example a cut on the palm side of the thumb will make the tip of the thumb on one or both sides of the thumb feel numb but usually not the back of the thumb. If the whole thumb is numb it may be due to swelling. I would consult a hand surgeon.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Annette Occhialini
Dr. Annette Occhialini
Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care
In brief: Cannot tell immediat
Local tissue swelling will make you feel numb so it is tough to judge regarding nerve injury.
Once the swelling subsides if there is weakness then it might be nerve injury. The one product i like for toes and fingers is called polymem toes and fingers you can just plug this on the area and the dressing itself cleans, takes away pain and heals, dressing can be left in place for 7 days.

In brief: Cannot tell immediat
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Randolph Evans
Neurology
The nerve damaged depends upon the part of the thumb which is numb and whether there is weakness associated.
It could be the median nerve or superficial radial nerve. You doctor can check it out.

Dr. Randolph Evans
Dr. Randolph Evans
Dr. Vikram Patel