Will my hand be okay if I had a boxers fracture and I didn't get it treated?

Dr. Eon Shin
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Maybe.

Many boxer's fractures (fractures of the small finger metacarpal neck) can be treated non-surgically.
However, a period of immobilization in a splint or cast is usually necessary to allow for appropriate bone healing. For best results, consider operative intervention or immobilization. Once the fracture begins to heal, therapy exercises can be helpful to maximize hand use and strength.

In brief: Maybe.

Dr. Eon Shin
Dr. Eon Shin
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: YES

Only in extreme rare cases will a boxer's fracture really be so bad that a person will have a problem with it.
But -- be sure to have hand surgeon look at the x-ray to confirm that it really is that. Typically -- and very honestly -- folks do best with the least amount of treatment.

In brief: YES

Dr. Michael Raemisch
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine