I have a second degree burn from boiling carmel. How can I tell whether my hand is infected?

Dr. Raymond Raven
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Signs...

Of an infection include swelling, progressive redness, pain, fevers, etc.
Not something you want to diagnose on your own, since the risk of complications and permanent impairment and disability following a serious hand infection is high. See a doctor if you are at all concerned that you might have an infection.

In brief: Signs...

Dr. Raymond Raven
Dr. Raymond Raven
Dr. Gregg Albers
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Burn

1st degree burn is a red area on the skin, second degrees with some blistering, third degree with full thickness damage of the skin that may need surgery.
First and second degree burns can become worse through infections, increasing redness and pain, drainage from the area of the burn. If there is any question about infection be seen immediately. Otherwise keep a burn ointment/bandage on.

In brief: Burn

Dr. Gregg Albers
Dr. Gregg Albers