I have a fractured hand, and it's very swollen. Will I have to wait swelling to subside before I get a cast?

Dr. Barry Press
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Splint first

With marked swelling you will probably be given a splint to use until the swelling subsides, at which time you will be changed to a cast--but a lot depend on the location of the fracture and whether you need an operation.

In brief: Splint first

Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Matthew Enna
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: No

You can still get a cast, but the cast may have to be split in order to allow for further swelling.
Also, once you get the cast and your swelling goes down, you will likely require a cast change to a more snug cast because the cast will get loose as your swelling goes down.

In brief: No

Dr. Matthew Enna
Dr. Matthew Enna
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine