I broke my hand and had surgery to replace my bone with a metal plate. What are the long-term side effects?

Dr. James Zasuly
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Replace?
Usually a metal plate is used to hold the bone while it heals.
The bone will eventually be strong without limitations. The plate is not removed unless it causes problems. If the plate was used to replace the bone (unlikely) then this is temporary and you will need more surgery.

In brief: Replace?
Dr. James Zasuly
Dr. James Zasuly
Dr. Mark Einbecker
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: Hardware removal
If you are talking about the hardware not the fracture then prominent hardware necessitating later removal is the most common problem. However even this does not occur with a high frequency.
Soft tissue irratation is another potential problem.

In brief: Hardware removal
Dr. Mark Einbecker
Dr. Mark Einbecker
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery