I have carpal tunnel and ganglion cyst. Do I need surgery?

Dr. Eric Chiang
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Both depend

On severity and most of the time does not require surgery.
I would advise to be eval by rheumatologist or hand surgeon first and decide if conservative ( wrist splint, medicine, physical therapy, injection) vs surgery.

In brief: Both depend

Dr. Eric Chiang
Dr. Eric Chiang
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: If bad, yes

If these are minor and not causing you too much trouble, and feel better using a brace, then "no".
Keep in mind the cyst won't really go away, but it's ok to live with a cyst. If you want these things to be "cured" or gone, or they are giving you significant troubles, then "yes". Surgery will fix these nicely.

In brief: If bad, yes

Dr. Michael Raemisch
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Dr. Kent Chou
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Possibly.

Ganglion cysts are usually a nuisance and often do not require surgery.
Carpal tunnel syndrome, however, can sometimes lead to permanent nerve damage if not treated.

In brief: Possibly.

Dr. Kent Chou
Dr. Kent Chou
Dr. Troy Reyna
Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: Depends

Carpal tunnel can cause symptoms of pain and tingling that can affect hand function, ganglions can cause pain with wrist movement and affect range of motion.
If either causes loss of function and/or pain then surgery would be an option.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery

If the cyst in is the carpal tunnel.
If not, try splinting and lifestyle modification first.

If the cyst in is the carpal tunnel.
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Todd Sisto