I have a boxer's fracture in my right hand. What are my treatment options?

Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Boxers fracture

Treatment depends on the nature of the fracture and the stability.
In instances of stable fractures, a minimum of a splint is generally recommended for at least 3 weeks and more commonly 6 weeks. For unstable fractures with shortening, rotation, mal-alignment, displacement, etc, reduction (alignment) and fixation (pins, wires, screws, plates, etc) with casting may be required.

In brief: Boxers fracture

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Eon Shin
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Splint or surgery.

A boxer's fracture can be frequently treated with splinting or casting.
If your hand surgeon sees that the fracture is not significantly angulated or displaced on x-rays, then immobilization may be a sufficient treatment modality. Occasionally, surgery may be necessary to re-align the bones. If surgery is performed, boxer's fractures are usually fixed with wires and rarely with plates/screws.

In brief: Splint or surgery.

Dr. Eon Shin
Dr. Eon Shin
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine