Is it safest to have a natural birth?

Dr. David Fein
Preventive Medicine

In almost all cases, a normal birth is desired over a c-section.
Despite today's progress in surgical advances, infection prevention, and post-op recovery, a natural birth is still considered safer, with fewer risks, than an operative delivery. However, when cases of breech, twins or triplets, macrosomia (large infant), etc. Occur, we have the ability to safely deliver these babies by c-section.

Dr. David Fein
Dr. David Fein
Dr. Jeffrey Gladd
Preventive Medicine

I believe that not only is it safest, but also the best for your baby (at least versus c-section).
A baby that travels through the vaginal tract is able to swallow the acidophilus needed to begin laying down the probiotics (good bacteria) all healthy digestive systems need. A baby born c-section enters the world through a sterile field, void of any of these healthy "bugs".

Dr. Jeffrey Gladd
Dr. Jeffrey Gladd

In brief: Define "natural"

If you are thinking of delivering at home ( or a cave) like they did "naturally " when my great great granddaddy was born I would say no.
If you mean by a vaginal delivery aided by up to date monitoring and safety I would say yes.

In brief: Define "natural"

Dr. Jonathan Jassey