Why does my palm and wrist hurt and sweat a lot when I type?

Dr. David Wishnew
Wound care

In brief: Hand pain

Irritation and stimulation of the median nerve can lead to pain as well as an alteration in the sympathetic nerve action in the hand.
The pain and the causes are similar to repetitive motions that cause carpal tunnel syndrome.

In brief: Hand pain

Dr. David Wishnew
Dr. David Wishnew
Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Sympathetic response

Pain can trigger a sympathetic response which will cause sweating.
The question is why you are having pain. This could be from tendon or nerve irritation. Taking breaks, making sure your keyboard is set up ergonomically, and learning some nerve and tendon gliding exercises may be helpful.

In brief: Sympathetic response

Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan
Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine