What is the typical recovery time after carpal tunnel surgery?

Dr. Zahid Niazi
Cosmetic Surgery

In brief: CTR recovery

In my practice the patient has a soft dressing for 1 week and they start mobilizing in the second week.
Recovery from the carpal tunnel surgery can be as quick as two weeks but the nerve recovery may take 6 months if the nerve compression was severe. Scar matures over 6-9 months. Your hand surgeon is the best person to give you detailed information about recovery specific to your condition.

In brief: CTR recovery

Dr. Zahid Niazi
Dr. Zahid Niazi
Dr. Michael Fitzmaurice
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Varies on procedure

The traditional open procedures usually require 6-8 weeks of full recovery.
The endoscopic techniques offer a faster recovery within a few weeks. In my practice where I perform a particular type of endoscopic release (EndoTech), patients can move immediately and have a small soft dressing that is removed in 2 days and are allowed to shower at that time. Average return to work is within 1 week.

In brief: Varies on procedure

Dr. Michael Fitzmaurice
Dr. Michael Fitzmaurice
Dr. Kevin Vaught
Neurosurgery

In brief: 6 weeks

For most patients, they are able to gradually resume most normal activities around 6 weeks after surgery.
Most do not require occupational therapy on the hand. However, ot can be helpful if the recovery is slow.

In brief: 6 weeks

Dr. Kevin Vaught
Dr. Kevin Vaught
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: Recovery time varies

Recover time will vary depending on many factors including age, general health of the patient, infection control, smoker or not, blood sugar control, the exact type of procedure, and post-operative and follow up care.
Discuss it with your surgeon and get their opinion as to what they feel is a reasonable recovery time for you.

In brief: Recovery time varies

Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Steven Brown
do not answer questions about hand surgical procedures as a podiatrist with cookbook answers you use for all recovery time questions. This is a disservice to the patient and health tap, Have you ever treated or operated on a patient for carpal tunnel? If not do not answer the question as if you are an expert.
Dr. Mark Deitch
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Four to six weeks

The answer depends on what type of surgery you have and what you consider "full recovery.
" overall, most patients can return to full, unrestricted activity at ~6 weeks postop. Most patients can perform most daily light activities within 1-2 weeks. Return to activity is faster if you have an endoscopic surgery vs and open release, although the long-term results are the same.

In brief: Four to six weeks

Dr. Mark Deitch
Dr. Mark Deitch
Dr. Ramin AmirNovin
Neurosurgery

In brief: 4-6 weeks

Most patients return to non-lifting jobs in 4-6 weeks after this surgery.

In brief: 4-6 weeks

Dr. Ramin AmirNovin
Dr. Ramin AmirNovin