Is it okay to have swelling in my fingers after carpal tunnel release surgery?

Dr. Aileen Shieu
Surgery - Hand Surgery
However, if you just had the surgery and have quite a bit of pain or numbness, you need to make sure your dressings are not too tight. Your hand surgeon can check this for you. Swelling should improve with time. Make sure you have been shown proper finger exercises and stretches to do after your surgery as these can all help with the swelling.

Dr. Aileen Shieu
Dr. Aileen Shieu
2 comments
Dr. Robert Gluck
A reasonable degree of hand elevation ie elbow bent with hand pointing to the ceiling is also important ALSO beware misused splints which often don't properly elevate the hand and may cause shoulder and neck complaints
Dr. Robert Gluck
Correction: should say misused SLINGS and not splints
Dr. Eon Shin
Orthopedic Surgery
Mild swelling is generally expected.
However, consider contacting your physician to confirm and re-examine.

Mild swelling is generally expected.
Dr. Eon Shin
Dr. Eon Shin
Dr. Eon Shin
Orthopedic Surgery
A small degree of swelling is quite normal and common.
If the swelling is severe, contact your physician immediately.

Dr. Eon Shin
Dr. Eon Shin
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Swollen fingers
This may be due to immobility and swelling.
Arm elevation above your heart can definitely improve this. Gentle finger range of motion exercises, if permitted by your surgeon, can also be beneficial. I would discuss this with your surgeon to make sure it is not an indication of something worse such as infection. As you can see the surgery is immediately close to the tendons.

In brief: Swollen fingers
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Eric Weisman