How long does it generally take your hand to heal after carpal tunnel surgery?

Dr. Raymond Raven
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: It depends...
In my practice, i allow patients to return to routine activities of daily living the same day of surgery.
I encourage typing and light gripping immediately. The bandage is removed after a week, at which time the incision could be washed normally and dressed with a bandaid (avoiding submersion for total of 3 weeks). Load bearing and heavy gripping (manual labor) is resumed usually after 4 weeks.

In brief: It depends...
Dr. Raymond Raven
Dr. Raymond Raven
Dr. Stuart Hilliard
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: It depends
Every patient recovers at their own pace.
Most are able to do all their normal daily activities within a week or two, but there will still be some tenderness in the palm that can last for a month or more. This mainly affects grip strength. Manual laborers may need a little more time to return to full activities.

In brief: It depends
Dr. Stuart Hilliard
Dr. Stuart Hilliard
Dr. Robert Gluck
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: Quickly
With my patients, i generally let them use the hand same day as the surgery though they have a small bandage and they can't over do it.
Stitches usually come out at two weeks and the following week they can pretty much do what they want. If there is weakness or other co-morbidity associated with the median nerve entrapment that of course needs to be factored in.

In brief: Quickly
Dr. Robert Gluck
Dr. Robert Gluck
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: After surgery
I encourage hand use immediately.
The dressing is removed at 3-4 days after which the hand can be washed gently. A soft splint, splint or glove can be worm if needed. Many choose ot to use this at all. A lot depends upon tasks and occupation.

In brief: After surgery
I encourage hand use immediately.
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Dr. Randy Hauck
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: Completely 6 months
It is generally not very painful unless pressure is place on the palm and that lasts for about 8 weeks.
It takes about 6 months for all of your grip strength to return.

In brief: Completely 6 months
Dr. Randy Hauck
Dr. Randy Hauck