Why do I still feel pain in my foot after having my foot amputated?

In brief: Phantom Limb Pain
After amputation, nerves that were cut continue to send signals to the brain.
The brain interprets these signals as pain in an extremity even if the extremity has been amputated. This normally resolves on its own over time. A pain management doctor may be able to help if the symptoms persist.

In brief: Phantom Limb Pain
Dr. Glenn Aufseeser
Dr. Glenn Aufseeser
Dr. Laura Pak
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: phantom pain
Phantom sensations are common after amputations.
The cause is poorly understood, but the pain is thought to arise from injured nerve fibers. Frequently we treat it with anti-depressant medication or neuropathic-pain medication like neurontin (gabapentin). Research is being done into deep brain stimulation techniques.

In brief: phantom pain
Dr. Laura Pak
Dr. Laura Pak
Dr. Marsha Davis