Can I have a vaginal birth if I have hepatitis c?

Dr. Amy Herold

Vaginal delivery is the preferred route of delivery for women with hepatitis c.
Your doctor will try to avoid any interventions in labor that might break the baby's skin (some invasive monitors or sharply breaking the bag of water) unless absolutely necessary to minimize the risk of transmission to the baby.

Dr. Amy Herold
Dr. Amy Herold
Dr. David Fein
Preventive Medicine

Not only is a vaginal birth a good idea for hepatitis c patients, but it is superior to c-section.
After managing your pregnancy with your ob-gyn, and liver specialist, the time comes for delivery. As you might expect, avoiding scalpels and needles during c-section would avoid transmitting hepatitis c to others. Transmission of c to the baby is very rare during the pregnancy.

Dr. David Fein
Dr. David Fein
Dr. Adam Smith