What happens to a fistula that fails? Will I need another operation to remove it?

Dr. Michael Korona
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: Not usually

Please try not to let it fail.
As an interventional radiologist, i open fistulas all the time. Have it checked if not working correctly. I don't want you to run out of access.

In brief: Not usually

Please try not to let it fail.
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Oliver Aalami
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Why did it fail?

It depends on why your fistula failed.
If it is clotted, then fistulas can often be "de-clotted" and used again. If it fails and can not be de-clotted, then you will need a dialysis catheter until a new long term dialysis access can be placed. We usually do not take out old failed fistulas or grafts unless they are infected.

In brief: Why did it fail?

It depends on why your fistula failed.
Dr. Oliver Aalami
Dr. Oliver Aalami
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery