What does it mean if my physician tells me I have a right carotid bruit?

Dr. Oliver Aalami
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: Turbulence in Artery
A carotid bruit is a "swishing" sound heard when listening to the neck with a stethoscope.
The noise is turbulence caused by blood flowing past a blockage in the artery. These blockages are most often formed by plaque build-up / atherosclerosis. Interestingly this finding correlates with mild to moderate blockages not blockages near or greater than 90%. An ultrasound is the next best test.

In brief: Turbulence in Artery
Dr. Oliver Aalami
Dr. Oliver Aalami
Dr. Susan Arnoult
In brief: Blood flow
A bruit is just a sound heard in a blood vessel that represents turbulent blood flow.
In the carotid it could possibly represent a narrowing in the artery. Hearing a bruit does not automatically mean that there is something wrong though.

In brief: Blood flow
Dr. Susan Arnoult
Dr. Susan Arnoult
Dr. Michael Korona
Radiology - Interventional
In brief: Narrowing
Need carotid doppler to see how bad.
Need to stop smoking, correct high blood pressure, take statins and Aspirin if prescribed. If not you are at increased risk for stroke.

In brief: Narrowing
Need carotid doppler to see how bad.
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology