What does it mean for me when my carotids are 95% occluded on ultrasound?

Dr. Oliver Aalami
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: 95% Blocked

Ultrasound is a great way to determine how blocked the carotid arteries are.
It turns out that the more blocked they are the greater the risk for a stroke. Even if you are not having a symptoms (mini-stroke or actual stroke), a blockage of 80% or greater is enough to warrant a carotid endarterectomy. If you are having symptoms, then a blockage of 50% or greater is enough to warrant surgery.

In brief: 95% Blocked

Dr. Oliver Aalami
Dr. Oliver Aalami
Dr. Michael Korona
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: Stroke risk

Need to be on Aspirin if you can take it.
Need a cta of the neck to evaluate the plaque. May need surgery or a stent. See your doctor. You are at risk of having a stroke.

In brief: Stroke risk

Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Jack Hinkle