My sister-in-law has been diagnosed with lymphedema in her right leg. What can I do to help?

Dr. Norman Chideckel
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: Lymphedema
get evaluated treatment includes compression stockings manual lymphatic decongestion lymphedema pump read internet sites that are patient driven with regards to lymphedema

In brief: Lymphedema
Dr. Norman Chideckel
Dr. Norman Chideckel
Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: MLD
This stands for manual lymphatic drainage and complete decongestive therapy.
Find a physician that has a special interest in this technique for the care of lymph edema.

In brief: MLD
Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology
In brief: Custom support hose
Compression with custom support can help reduce the fluid in the leg.
It is worth trying oral enzymes which I have found helpful in early cases. Bromelain 3-6 capsules 500 mg or mcu in divided doses one hour before or two hours after meals.

In brief: Custom support hose
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Ted King
Phlebology
In brief: Lymphedema
Offering encouragement might very well be the most helpful thing you can do.
Having lymphedema is discouraging. It takes a lot of motivation and effort on the part of the patient to stay on top of the swelling and that will never end. She needs to hook up with a good lymphedema therapist , wear her compression, do her exercises, keep her weight under control, etc., but staying motivated is hard.

In brief: Lymphedema
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King