How do you get rid of the scars around the nipple after breast surgery?

Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Can't

Unfortunately, patients will never be able to “get rid of scars”.
However, generally speaking, scars do tend to improve in appearance over time. Sometimes the use of silicone gel or sheeting may be helpful as well. Otherwise, scar revision surgery may be helpful in improving the appearance of the scars.

In brief: Can't

Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Time & Many Factors

I generally feel that a scar is 50% a surgeons skills and techniques and 50% a persons response to injury.
Good wound care with healthy nutrition, avoidance of sun and tobacco and tension are good general principles for all scars. For the breast i prefer topicsl tape for 3-4 months as well as silicone gel ointment or sheeting. I am not a big fan of laser but prefer time (1-2 years) to assess.

In brief: Time & Many Factors

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Regina Hampton
I agree with Dr. Placik. General surgeons have (finally) started to think of the breast like plastic surgeons. We try to plan the incision for the best cosmetic outcome, especially for breast cancer. We also work more closely with our plastic colleagues to assist us when large volumes need to be removed.
Dr. Richard Tholen
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: You can't!

Scars are permanent, but they can be excised and revised to (sometimes) make them better. That's why choosing incision placement before surgery is a big deal.
Even the best plastic surgical technique cannot overcome genetic bad-scar healing tendencies! see an abps-certified plastic surgeon for advice about what is possible for your present scarring. Otc remedies are not of any significant benefit!

In brief: You can't!

Dr. Richard Tholen
Dr. Richard Tholen
Dr. John Di Saia
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Improve vs erase

You can often improve them with a combination of silicone sheeting, steroid injections and/or surgical revision.
Many of them improve quite a bit on their own with time though. This is something to discuss with your surgeon.

In brief: Improve vs erase

Dr. John Di Saia
Dr. John Di Saia
Dr. Regina Hampton
Breast Surgery

In brief: Difficult

Scarring is something that happens with everyone after surgery.
If you have keloid scars, these might be revised and then radiation can be given. I recommend you contact a plastic surgeon who can best evaluate you and determine if this is possible.

In brief: Difficult

Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Jane Van Dis