My husband has pvd. The surgeon says he will lose his feet and legs within 3 years. Is there a way to prevent this?

Dr. Michael Korona
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: Hard to say

Please treat diabetes.
Please don't smoke. Please control cholesterol with statins. Please take Aspirin if you can. Please walk every day. Please see podiatrist for nail care and foot checks. Please don't smoke. Please don't smoke. It's that important.

In brief: Hard to say

Please treat diabetes.
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Michael Korona

In brief: THINGS TO DO.

I don't know the extent of the PVD, but things that are done include medications like aspirin or Plavix, (clopidogrel) stents, or open leg bypass.
If you live in a big city, go to a major teaching hospital. They frequently do new and inventive things.

In brief: THINGS TO DO.

Dr. Darrell Latva
Dr. Darrell Latva
Dr. Oliver Aalami
Surgery - Vascular

Without knowing the extent of PVD it is hard to say if your husband will truly lose his leg in three years.
Pvd can be treated both medically ( stop smoking / Aspirin / Plavix (clopidogrel) / statin therapy ) as well as surgically ( angioplasty / stenting / bypass surgery ). You should consult a vascular surgeon.

Dr. Oliver Aalami
Dr. Oliver Aalami
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery