What can I do about low vision driving ?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Don't drive

You should meet your state requirements for driving eligibility.
There are telescopes built into lenses which can allow you to see better on a visual chart but these limit the peripheral vision which is critical for driving and they are dangerous. Consider the danger you place yourself and others if you try to drive with vision not meeting the standard.

In brief: Don't drive

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
2 comments
Dr. Tim Conrad
Some states allow driving with low vision under a bioptric (telescope) lens program. They usually offer a course, and after passing, you can receive a limited license to drive. Although I am personally opposed to such programs, they are a legal way to drive a car. Contact your driver's license state agency to find out what options are available for you.
Dr. Daniel Schainholz
Bioptic telescopes improve the image magnification, but at the cost of limited visual field and the loss of binocularity. Implanted miniature telescopes have the same limitations, but cannot be removed. Restricted driver's licences are available if you are not "legally blind" - 20/100 or better: no night driving, no highway driving, no driving in inclement weather or unfamiliar areas. Go to DMV.
Dr. Andrea Brand