My 27 year old daughter has a very bad case of lymphedema. What can I do to help her cope with her condition?

Dr. Laura Pak
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: See a specialist

Lymphedema nurse specialists can be unbelievably helpful in providing emotional support and counseling, education about skin care, and also in providing treatment for lymphedema with massage and wrapping techniques.
Even chronic, massively swollen limbs can see dramatic results with non-invasive limb reduction techniques.

In brief: See a specialist

Dr. Laura Pak
Dr. Laura Pak
Dr. Khashayar Salartash
The best treatment for lymph edema is manual lymphatic drainage and complete decongestive therapy. This is the best long term method to manage the swelling.
Dr. Ted King
Phlebology

In brief: Lymphedema therapy

Lymphedema is a hard diagnosis to swallow.
Treatment isn't always as effective as anyone would like and it is lifelong. I agree with dr. Pak about seeing a lymphedema nurse. The mainstay of treatment is compression, massage, exercise, and weight loss if heavy. An experienced lymphedema therapist can be extremely helpful. Good luck.

In brief: Lymphedema therapy

Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King