Is varicose vein surgery painful?

It depends. Although every procedure has some discomfort associated with it. How much you feel depends on what you are having done. If you have surgery or an endovenous thermal procedure, you will get an anesthetic during the procedure so that you won't feel anything. The amount of pain you will have afterwards will be worse with surgery but your doctor can prescribe medicine for you to keep you comfortable.
Typically No. Varicose vein treatments have come a long way since the days of "vein stripping". Treatments (such as vnus closure) are done in the office in about 30 minutes and only require local anesthetic. There is no downtime. You can go back to work immediately and back to exercise in 4 days. The only sensation that you typically feel is a "pinch" while the your physician is numbing your skin.
Yes. Every procedure or surgery is to some degree painful. Most of my patient have their pain controlled with ibuprofen/advil. They need that for 4-7 days approx. It is therefore moderate pain. They usually feel the pain was worth it.
Laser closure. I do a procedure called laser ablation closure of the saphenous veins. It is not painful. The procedure is done under local tumescent anesthesia which is a very dilute local anesthesia which is injected along the course of the saphenous veins prior to layering. Sometimes oral sedation is also used. If there are large varicose veins these are removed through small micro (2mm) incisions.
Depends on Treatment. Although every surgical procedure has some degree of discomfort, there are definitely certain vein treatments that are more painful than other. The least invasive, or sclerotherapy, has mimimal pain. Laser or rf ablation involves a few shots of novacaine and then it is painless. Patient report pain relief with Ibuprofen alone during the recovery. The most painful is phlebectomy or stripping.