What are the benefits of water birth?

Dr. Braden Richmond

In brief: Comfort vs risk

Water births are touted for those foregoing pain medicine, especially epidurals.
They provide weightlessness, and can help patients manage labor pain better. However, if one chooses to have a water delivery, there can be problems including increased risk of infection, problems with managing the perineum or the head during the delivery, and aspiration, with severe consequences for the baby.

In brief: Comfort vs risk

Dr. Braden Richmond
Dr. Braden Richmond
Dr. Kevin Daus
There are a lot of people requesting this form of delivery. I think it is a personal choice and should be made with the help of the provider. I have found an objective article from Web MD I put on my web page. I have personally seen where laboring in the water helped with pain relief but every mother is different. http://kevindausmd.com/links.html
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology

In brief: See below

There are multiple techniques offered for childbirth, and new techniques, as well as old ones, come in and out of vogue.
What seems to work best is what works for you. I have worked at hospitals with and without water births. As an anesthesiologist i will say that a water birth means that the use of epidural anesthesia is not possible, or extremely difficult.

In brief: See below

Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard