What are the benefits of water birth?

Comfort vs risk. Water births are touted for those foregoing pain medicine, especially epidurals. They provide weightlessness, and can help patients manage labor pain better. However, if one chooses to have a water delivery, there can be problems including increased risk of infection, problems with managing the perineum or the head during the delivery, and aspiration, with severe consequences for the baby.
See below. There are multiple techniques offered for childbirth, and new techniques, as well as old ones, come in and out of vogue. What seems to work best is what works for you. I have worked at hospitals with and without water births. As an anesthesiologist I will say that a water birth means that the use of epidural anesthesia is not possible, or extremely difficult.