Are there any treatments for dental fluorosis?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Dental Fluorosis

Depending upon the depth, extent and color of the fluorosis, enamel microabrasion, tooth whitening, composite bonding, veneers or in the worst case scenario, ceramic crowns can restore your teeth to their natural beauty.
Often a combination of methods is used. Discuss your options with a dentist knowledgeable about all these methods.

In brief: Dental Fluorosis

Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Dental fluorosis

Fluoride is important for cavity prevention, but too much fluoride can cause dental fluorosis.
The majority of dental fluorosis is mild and appears as white spots and no treatment is needed or minimal non-invasive treatment is recommended. See your dentist for evaluation and professional opinion.

In brief: Dental fluorosis

Dr. Michael Hoefs
Sometimes dental fluorosis appears as a brownish stain in your teeth. These can be bleached out of the teeth with a chairside procedure. Ask you dentist if he or she is familiar with this procedure. It was first publish in journals over thirty years ago. I believe it is more refined today.

In brief: Bleaching first

See your dentist for an evaluation.
Depending on the extent of the fluorosis and your comfort level a variety of treatments exist. If possible, I would start with the most basic, which would be bleaching-- a technique such as Kor Whitening produces great results, but the caveat is you must do take home touch ups on a monthly basis to maintain.

In brief: Bleaching first

See your dentist for an evaluation.
Dr. Scott Methven
Dentistry

In brief: Crowns or veneers

There is no treatment that can make your fluorosis go away.
Veneers or crowns may be your best choice cosmetically. Although it is expensive, it will get you smiling again! :).

In brief: Crowns or veneers

3 comments
Dr. Bruce Elkind
Fluorosis is a cosmetic problem, the tooth material is not damaged. Anything done would be purely for the looks. Have you tried bleaching to diffuse the discoloration? Otherwise any other dental restorations would be costly and destroy tooth material.
Dr. Scott Methven
It depends on the severity of the fluorosis. I've personally seen teeth that look almost a dark brown. If it is a mild case bleaching may help. I'm assuming your teeth are very discolored. Hope this helps. There is also a product called snap on smile which covers your natural teeth. They use this in movies and your teeth do not need to get drilled in. It's purely cosmetic. Matt Damon
Dr. Mazin Kizy
Dentistry

Dental fluorosis is a defect in the enamel of teeth.
Most cases are cosmetic defects. The treatment can include white filling to caver the defect, veneers, or full crowns.

Dr. Ryan Woodman
Dentistry

Depending on how severe the cosmetic mottling is, fluorosis can be masked with whitening.
I have had some success with a product called icon which is a sealant that helps blend the chalky areas. It can also be lightly polished and bonded. Severe cases will usually need veneers or ceramic crowns to fully color correct and remove all of the stains.