Is leg amputation the only option for a bone infection?

It depends. It depends on the extent of the infection; if the infection is into a joint; how good/bad is the circulation in the leg? Can the patient undergo perhaps several long surgeries. Is the patient diabetic. Does the patient walk now - if not they probably won't walk after surgery so why risk ur life with several surgeries for a leg u don't really use. This issue is 2 complicated to answer in 400 words.
No. Amputuation is not always the only option. Additional therapies may include aggressive surgical debridement, 6 weeks of specific antibiotics and occasionally hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Dr purtrill is correct there are many factors that might make the above course of action unreasonable and make amputation the option that preserves the patients quality of life.