What happens if I start having contractions but I am not dilating?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Cervix effaces/thins

The cervix is normally thick through most of pregnancy, and usually many uterine contractions and physiologic changes are required to thin it (especially prior to the first delivery).
It is important, however, for women to record contractions and keep their obs informed because an examination of the cervix by a trained provider can best determine extent of dilatation of the cervix/onset of labor.

In brief: Cervix effaces/thins

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham

In brief: Patience

Contractions almost always eventually progress to labor, usually after a few hours but sometimes it takes days or weeks of contractions to evolve in to active labor.

In brief: Patience

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Jane Van Dis