Is it normal to be depressed after a foot amputation?

It is not uncommon for depression following any removal of part of your body such as a leg, foot, breast, or arm. Talk with your doctor about support groups in your area and medications that can help.

Dr. Scott Grover
Dr. Scott Grover
Dr. Oliver Aalami
Surgery - Vascular
Absolutely. Anti-depressants and group counseling will help.

Dr. Oliver Aalami
Dr. Oliver Aalami
In brief: AMPUTATION SUPPORT
I know some hospitals sponsor "Amputation Support Groups", where patients can talk to each other about their feelings regarding their amputation.
Sometimes a psychiatrist or psychologist is involved. You should also mention this to your primary physician.

In brief: AMPUTATION SUPPORT
Dr. Darrell Latva
Dr. Darrell Latva
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry
In brief: Yes...
Depression is common after any amputation.

In brief: Yes...
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. John Callahan
This is normal human nature talk to someone about it.