How do I know that I have made it to the end of first stage?

Dr. Jeff Livingston

In brief: 10 cm dilated

Practically speaking, there is no way for you to know when you have completed the first stage of labor on your own.
The first stage ends when you are 10 CM dilated and ready begin pushing. Normally, your nurse, doctor or midwife would check your cervix and tell you that you are fully dilated. The second stage of labor begins with pushing and ends with delivery.

In brief: 10 cm dilated

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Diane Minich

In brief: Fully dilated

A nurse or doctor will need to check you vaginally to determine if your cervix is completely dilated.
Once you are completely dilated you are at the end of the first stage of labor and start the second stage or the pushing stage.

In brief: Fully dilated

Dr. Diane Minich
Dr. Diane Minich
Dr. Buck Parker