If I have a popliteal aneurysm, will I have other aneurysms in the future?

Dr. Patrick Wyffels
Critical Care

In brief: Possibly

The popliteal artery is the third most common location for a aneurysm.
These frequently occur in both legs. Patients who have one aneurysm are more likely to develop others in the aorta and femoral ( groin ) and iliac arteries. These patients are followed closely for early detection.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Patrick Wyffels
Dr. Patrick Wyffels
Dr. Robert Vorhies
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: More likely than not

Popliteal artery aneurysms occur with a bilateral presentation in over 50% of patients.
AAA is also diagnosed in around 50% of patients presenting with popliteal aneurysms. Ultrasound tests can evaluate this possibility easily. Your risk to develop additional aneurysm where there currently is none, is hard to define, but certainly elevated.

In brief: More likely than not

Dr. Robert Vorhies
Dr. Robert Vorhies