If I don't shower or clean a leg ulcer, will I lose my leg?

Dr. Oliver Aalami
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: No

No. Factors which determine if you will lose your leg are, 1) how good / bad the circulation is, or 2) whether you have a deep wound infection which will not clear with just antibiotics alone.
Showering and keeping wounds clean does help prevent infections.

In brief: No

Dr. Oliver Aalami
Dr. Oliver Aalami
Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: No

Cleaning a leg ulcer is something that should be done to allow the wound to heal.
You need to see a vascular surgeon that has a special interest in venous ulcer disease.

In brief: No

Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Dr. John Landi
Phlebology

In brief: Leg ulcer

Keeping a leg ulcer clean is one of the mainstays of treating it and getting it to heal.
In addition, the reason for the ulcer needs to be determined and treated as leg ulcers can be due to many causes including arterial, venous, diabetic or even trauma. See a vascular surgeon for an evaluation and guidance as to how to treat this.

In brief: Leg ulcer

Dr. John Landi
Dr. John Landi
Dr. Douglas Joyce
Phlebology

In brief: Keep it clean

If you do not keep a leg ulcer clean it can become infected.
This can lead to serious trouble and in the worst case loss of the leg.

In brief: Keep it clean

Dr. Douglas Joyce
Dr. Douglas Joyce