I was diagnosed with a ascending aortic aneurysm by my family doctor. Do I need to go see a heart doctor?

Dr. Matt Malkin
Anesthesiology
In brief: Likely yes
Ascending aa usually get eval by cardiothoracic surgeon and cardiologist.
There is risk of rupture that increases with size and risk of involvement of aortic valve of heart and arteries supplying head and arms. Treatment options depend on your health and specifics of aneurysm. Blood pressure control and stopping tobacco use critical. I expect you will be getting referrals at some point in workup.

In brief: Likely yes
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Oliver Aalami
Surgery - Vascular
Ascending aortic aneurysms are treated once they reach 6cm in diameter. They are treated to prevent rupture.
Typically they are monitored by ct angiograms once a year. A cardiothoracic surgeon is perfect to follow such a condition.

Dr. Oliver Aalami
Dr. Oliver Aalami
Dr. Charles Jost
Depending on the size of your AAA, you can see a cardiologist who does endoluminal graft repair of AAA. This procedure is less invasive and the recovery is shorter.
Dr. Michael Korona
Radiology - Interventional
Cardiothoracic surgeon!

Cardiothoracic surgeon!
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery