I have some blockages in my carotid arteries and will probably have to have surgery. Is this a very dangerous operation?

Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: Depends
This is a very routine operation that carries a low risk of stroke and death if done in an experienced center with a skilled surgical team. The risk of stroke and death should be less than 3 percent.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Dr. Oliver Aalami
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: Not really
If it has been decided that you need a carotid endarterectomy, then it will be safer to have the surgery than not.
The goal is to minimize the risk of stroke. The risk of a stroke or heart attack during a carotid endarterectomy is typically < 3%. If you have had a TIA or stroke and have a carotid blockage >50%, or no symptoms and a blockage >80% then surgery i safer than no surgery.

In brief: Not really
Dr. Oliver Aalami
Dr. Oliver Aalami
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery