I have just been diagnosed with peripheral artery disease. What are my treatment options?

Dr. Linda Harris
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: Varies
If you only have pain with walking, exercise, not smoking, and medications can be used.
If you have pain at night, or sores, or your doctor has told you that the blockage is severe, you will need either endovascular procedures or open surgery.

In brief: Varies
Dr. Linda Harris
Dr. Linda Harris
Dr. Oliver Aalami
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: Depends
Depends on your symptoms.
If you only have claudication, then medical management (exercise/aspirin/statin) is recommended. If you have disabling claudication, pain at rest, or a non healing wound, then either endovascular or open surgical options are available. The first step is to get an arterial ultrasound to evaluate the extent and degree of vascular disease.

In brief: Depends
Depends on your symptoms.
Dr. Oliver Aalami
Dr. Oliver Aalami