How long after your water breaks does the baby have to be born?

In brief: Time varies

Actual time varies.
First labors take longer than later & average 8-10 hours.Some issues may delay the process, like an epidural placed too early or a baby tangled in the cord that will not descend.The risk of an infection affecting baby begins to increase after 18 hours of open membranes, so the ob's may add meds to speed the process or need to do a c-section.

In brief: Time varies

Actual time varies.
2 comments
Dr. Johanna Fricke
I hope you have decided to go to the hospital for optimal care of you & your baby. Don't try this alone.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Alfredo Garcia

In brief: Baby's birth

It all depends. The longer it is if this is your first baby.
In some women who have had previous deliveries, the baby can be born within minutes. However, the average time is between 3-10 hours.

In brief: Baby's birth

Dr. Alfredo Garcia
Dr. Alfredo Garcia
Dr. Shontae Buffington