How much blood will I lose during foot amputation?

Dr. Laura Pak
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Not much

It should not be enough to require a transfusion unless you are anemic beforehand.
Your surgeon will use a tourniquet during surgery if he is concerned about blood loss. Many times an amputation is required because there isn't enough blood to a limb, in which case blood loss should be minor.

In brief: Not much

Dr. Laura Pak
Dr. Laura Pak
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: It depends.

It depends on the quality of your circulation and on the procedure performed.

In brief: It depends.

Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Kevin Nolan
Usually blood loss with a foot amputation is not excessive.

In brief: Depends

It all depends on the level of the amputation and what the surgeon decides to do with the main arteries of your feet.
I usually hand tie the arteries to prevent a lot of bleeding. But the arteries could be too small. Major foot amp, trans met amp, which half of the foot is amputated, is the amputation with highest bleeding rate. I would estimate 50-75ml of actual blood loss.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Mak Yousefpour
Dr. Mak Yousefpour
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery