How long does it take for gangrene to develop in a leg after a gunshot in a diabetic person?

Dr. Erik Borncamp
Wound care

In brief: Diabetes

It is not typical for gangrene to develop with most GSWs .
diabetics are at higher risk due to poor circulation on a capillary level. Dead tissue or certain aggressive bacteria can lead to gangrene. And this can be with Hours to days to weeks. Follow with a surgeon experienced in GSWs to avoid developing it in the first place

In brief: Diabetes

Dr. Erik Borncamp
Dr. Erik Borncamp
Dr. PHILLIP KIM

In brief: Depends

Diabetic ulcers do take a long time to heal if blood sugars are chronically elevated.

In brief: Depends

Dr. PHILLIP KIM
Dr. PHILLIP KIM
Dr. Alan Koslow
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Too many factors

I have seen gas gangrene develop in 18 hours.
Other gangrene can take longer. Give me more info.

In brief: Too many factors

Dr. Alan Koslow
Dr. Alan Koslow
Dr. Jonathan Ellichman
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: 24 hours to never

In this scenario gangrenr results from a vascular injury or a large amount of devitalized tissue.
An arterial injury would lead to gangrene faster than a variable amount of devitalized tissue from the blast injury.

In brief: 24 hours to never

Dr. Jonathan Ellichman
Dr. Jonathan Ellichman
Dr. Scott Keith
Podiatry

In brief: No much difference.

Look at it this way.
Gangrene can develop after a gunshot wound to the leg whether the victim has diabetes or not. A diabetic person can develop gangrene in the leg whether he has sustained a gunshot or not. It is simply a matter of uncontrolled blood sugars, an impaired or unsustainable vascular tree and a host of other co-morbidities.

In brief: No much difference.

Look at it this way.
Dr. Scott Keith
Dr. Scott Keith
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery